Missing Things

24 November 2011

I don't know, what do you think?

The chief drives of the human-being-as-biological-organism are supposed to be food and sex.

Most of the modern world's social ailments, though, can be linked to a surplus or shortage of one or both of these - obesity, anorexia, health fads, body-image disorders, divorce, infidelity, depopulation, and infanticide all come to mind.

This thought is incomplete. The existence of a connection is self-evident, but I'm not sure what it might be or whether it's even significant.

I am, however, reminded of the two injunctions carved over the Oracle at Delphi, as recorded by Socrates through Plato. I spend a lot of time thinking about Know Thyself; this seems to be an apt reminder (and, personally, rather a needed one) of the necessity of Moderation in All Things.

Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. I think what you want here might be Lewis's observation that the greater the glory a thing or action can bring, the greater the sin when it is twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would indeed be exceedingly appropriate!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, say something! I'm the shy one here.